March 1 1954 saw the reopening of Jackfield Halt platform and shelter in its new location.
The halt had originally opened on 3 December 1934, midway between Coalport and Ironbridge. Unfortunately the site was on unstable ground – made worse by the clay mining history of the area.
Problems with subsidence arose over the years, culminating in a major landslide in spring 1952. The line and halt slumped 25 feet towards the river and many houses were also destroyed.
The halt platform and shelter were rebuilt a quarter mile to a position east of the sidings, but needed a 5 mph restriction and regular realignment and re-ballasting.
Also on this day in 1856, a meeting of interested parties was held at Bridgnorth in an attempt to attract new shareholders.