SVR Bridgnorth Station

The spiritual home of Severn Valley Railway

January 2020

  • Alveley to Foley Park 1972

    On This Day in 1972 the SVR signed an unconditional contract with BR to buy the southern section of the line between Alveley Sidings and Foley Park for £74,000. A section of the Stourport Branch from Bewdley through Mount Pleasant Tunnel was also included. Continue reading

  • ex-Pensnett five upper sections

    #OnThisDay in 1969 the five upper sections of the ex-Pensnett signal box were lifted into place at Bridgnorth Bridgnorth has had a number of signal boxes during its existence. Initially construction of two boxes was authorised in 1891 and these were brought into use in October 1892. Bridgnorth North signal box was situated north of… Continue reading

  • #OnThisDay

    In 1928 4575 class small prairie No 5508 was derailed north of Bridgnorth Tunnel In 2004 GWR 7802 Bradley Manor featured on the 42p stamp and the poster advertising Royal Mail’s Classic Locomotives stamp issue In 2008 LMS Stanier 8F 48773‘s last day in service before the end of her boiler ticket, running within Bridgnorth… Continue reading

  • #OnThisDay

    In 1861 construction of the Tenbury & Bewdley Railway began Continue reading

  • #OnThisDay 2 January

    In 1860 a young man James Painting died from injuries received after he was run over by some railway waggons near Berrington during construction of the SVR In 1875 the Kidderminster Times reported that construction of the loop line to Bewdley would begin as soon as the weather became favourable In 1905 the first halt… Continue reading

  • #OnThisDay 1 January

    In 1869 the Tenbury Railway was transferred into joint LNWR and GWR ownership In 1948 following nationalisation, the Severn Valley branch of the Great Western Railway became part of British Railways Western Region In 1963 control of the Severn Valley Branch passed from BR’s Western Region to their London Midland Region In 1969 GWR 178… Continue reading

  • #OnThisDay 31 December

    In 1835 a ‘Grand Connection Railway’ was advertised in the Worcester Journal, seeking capital of £800,000 and intended to run via Stourport, Kidderminster, Stourbridge and Dudley to Wolverhampton In 1858 the Board of the Severn Valley Railway agreed to pay an additional £20,000 to build the railway to double track width In 1968 future resident… Continue reading

About US

Originally opened in 1862 Bridgnorth was the principal intermediate station and crossing point between Hartlebury and Shrewsbury. After its last BR passenger service in September 1963 it was saved by preservationists and reopened to Hampton Loade in 1970. We have the only listed building on the Severn Valley Railway, grade II first listed in 1974, and many other unique features which we’ll tell you about here.