WWCC Tues 17 Nov


Today, even under the threat of gales associated with Atlantic Storm Barney, we managed a crew of seven to tackle the day’s operations. Chalky and Geoff set about excavating the ballast to let in the new troughing run under both sets of rails. The remainder of the crew set about some serious block and bricklaying.


In places from the position where the new ramp will start, we have now got seven courses of brickwork in place towards the south. This section is backed up with blocks to the same height. To give Colin a little break, other crew members have been involved with both brick and block laying. The next stage is to start the corbelling over the next four courses to the level where the platform edging slabs are ready to be installed.

Posted in Uncategorized, wwcc | Tagged , , , , | Leave a comment

a brief timeline

Bridgnorth Station Timeline

Bridgnorth is one of the few places in the country to have a railway tunnel immediately below the medieval heart of the town. The tunnel, 550 yards long, runs below High Town.


timeline tunnel route

Bridgnorth Station Building is made of stone in a restrained Jacobean architectural style.

20 August 1853: The first Severn Valley Railway Act received the Royal Assent.

26 May 1858: Contract for building the railway completed between the company and the contracting engineers. Work began on 14 August.

Autumn 1861: Line complete and ready to receive traffic, although opening was delayed for another six months to obtain a permanently substantial formation for the permanent way.

31 January 1862: First official train, of 22 carriages, left Worcester Shrub Hill at 11.30am, reaching Shrewsbury at 2pm.

1 July 1872: Great Western Railway Act – Severn Valley Railway Branch becomes part of God’s Wonderful Railway.

1887: Original down platform extended, a passenger shelter erected, and a cast-iron and wrought-iron lattice footbridge built to connect it to the up platform.

1887: Town Corporation pays for a new approach road to the station.

1892: Two fully interlocked signalboxes opened at the north and south ends of the station, superceded in 1923 by a single central box on the up platform.

1895: Town Corporation pays for a lattice footbridge to shorten the route from High Town to the railway, at a cost of £1,400.

7 November 1904: Bridgnorth – Wolverhampton omnibus passenger service initially using three Clarkson steambuses, soon replaced by petrol-engined Milnes-Daimler buses from 1 April 1905 until 2 June 1923, when Wolverhampton Corporation took over.

August 1922: Knowle Sand Brick Works siding opened, with ground frames at either end of loop, capable of accommodating 35 standard wagons plus engine and brake van.

June 1962: The Western Region of British Railways announces that passenger trains between Shrewsbury and Bewdley would be withdrawn. Bridgnorth Town Council objects to proposals, believing the line could be promoted as a holiday attraction.

27 March 1963: British Transport Commission’s report The Reshaping of British Railways, colloquially known as The Beeching Report.

August 1963: Official notice of withdrawal of passenger services north of Bewdley, to be effective from 9 September 1963. Freight and parcels continued until the end of the year, after which time there was only coal traffic to and from Alveley Colliery.

8 September 1963: The last British Railways passenger train to run into Bridgnorth from the south, double headed by ex-GWR 0-6-0 Pannier Tanks Nos 9624 and 4665.

2 December 1963: All Severn Valley line stations except Bewdley and Stourport closed completely, and track taken up between Buildwas and Bridgnorth.

6 July 1965: Meeting at Cooper’s Arms in Kidderminster.

25 July 1965: Inspection of the line between Hampton Loade and Bridgnorth followed by contact with British Railways to get demolition work stopped.

February 1966: Price of £25,000 agreed for purchase of line.

1 January 1967: Purchase by Severn Valley Railway Society of track southwards from Bridgnorth to Alveley Colliery from British Railways.

24 May 1967: Severn Valley Railway Company Limited incorporated, to enable application for a Light Railway Order.

1 June 1967: Contracts exchanged on sale of line from Bridgnorth to Alveley.

3 February 1969: Alveley to Bewdley section officially closed by British Railways.

December 1969: Severn Valley Railway Society merges with the Severn Valley Railway Company.

5 January 1970: Passenger service withdrawn between Bewdley, Kidderminster and Hartlebury.

May 1970: Second Light Railway Order granted.

23 May 1970: Re-opening Day – first public trains between Bridgnorth and Hampton Loade. Locos 3205, 46443, 43106 and 48773 used over the weekend. Trains run at weekends to the end of October.



10 April to 30 October 1971: Summer timetable operated between Bridgnorth and Hampton Loade.

April 1974: Services extended to Highley and, six weeks later…

May 1974: Services extended to Bewdley; daily running during the summer season extended to five weeks.

31 July 1984: First preservation-era trains between Bridgnorth and Kidderminster.

18 June 2007: Exceptionally severe weather causes damage at forty five places between Bridgnorth and Bewdley. Services reduced to Bewdley – Kidderminster only. Major appeal launched to fund £2.5M in repairs.


Posted in history | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

WWCC Sat 14 Nov



Despite dire weather forecasts, the team arrived ready for another stint of brick and block laying. We managed to get three barrow loads of mortar mixed and used both on the platform 1 extension, and also the finishing touches to the base of the Platform 2 side of the barrow crossing. By about 12 noon the weather made its intentions very clear, with by now a constant annoying fine drizzle soaking everybody involved. Still, with the time we had we have managed to advance southwards with the platform extension brickwork,. This has been backed up with a good number of blocks. Andy has cut and laid the bullnose edging at the north end of Platform 2. As the saying goes, ‘Discretion being the better part of valour’, it was decided to give it best and take lunch at around 13 00hrs. Bearing in mind the complete absence of any change in the weather, the decision was made to clean the tools and get off home and hope for an improvement in the weather for Tuesday.

Look at our Bridgnorth Station facebook page for all the pics and info about how this  station redevelopment big ‘pre-plan A’ project has gone to this stage.



Posted in wwcc | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment

Welcome to Bridgnorth Station, the spiritual home of Severn Valley Railway

opening day

Bridgnorth Station is the northern terminus of the Severn Valley Railway, situated in an historic Shropshire market town surrounded by countryside and disected by the River Severn.

The main station building is Grade II listed – the only one of its kind on the Railway – and the whole station site is in the conservation area. The station’s history is a modest intermediate stop on the Worcester – Shrewsbury line, and originally built on made-up land due to its geology and proximity to the river. The site is therefore somewhat restricted and linear, and not designed for easy vehicular access, or visitor parking.

The station is run predominantly by volunteers – from all walks of life – and some are not even train enthusiasts, but enjoy the friendly atmosphere. The licensed refreshment room, now known as The Railwaymans Arms, has stayed open for business throughout the station’s history, being first opened in 1861.

Being the spiritual home of the preserved Severn Valley Railway – where the restoration commenced in 1963, the station is a special place to many members and volunteers. There is a unique atmosphere resulting from the wide range of activity that is fitted into the site. Visit the ‘Join Us’ pages to learn more.

Contact us at hello@bridgnorthstation.co.uk
Phone No: 01746 764361
Post Code (Sat Nav): WV16 5DT

Posted in about | Tagged , , , , , | Leave a comment